Rugby in Harrogate
|| Rugby offers a
real spectator sport for the whole family to enjoy. If
you’re looking for a great way to spend an afternoon
or evening a visit to The County Ground [map], Claro
Road, could be the answer.
In 1871 the Harrogate Rugby Union Club was founded
under the name Harrogate Football Club. The first time
the team played it lost the match and resulted in rival
Leeds being victorious.
1875 saw Harrogate acquire a new ground at Dragon Fields
but moved to the present ground at Claro Road in 1896
when Dragon Fields was required for housing.
Harrogate won the Yorkshire Cup in 1905 and 1907,
heralding what many believe to be a golden era for the
In 1914 Harrogate became a soccer club only and so the
Rugby club continued as Harrogate Old Boys.
1923 saw the Harrogate R.U.F.C. form and it started to
play at the showground Knaresborough Road, now Shaw’s
Harrogate Old Boys returned home in 1926 when they purchased
Claro Road and welcomed the Harrogate RUFC to join them.
The team then went on to win the Yorkshire Cup in 1949
against Skipton, and again in 1965 against Wakefield.
The Bantams now known as the Mini/Junior section was formed
in 1972 as one of the first in the Country, and has thrived
ever since, producing many County and Schools player from
the Under 15’s upwards.